Mission & Purpose
WHO WE ARE
A collaborative group of key agencies dedicated to increasing homeownership opportunities for Native Americans in the State of South Dakota.
Created in 2013, the South Dakota Native Homeownership Coalition is a diverse group of agencies, institutions, and organizations that works to increase homeownership opportunities for South Dakota’s Native people to build strong and healthy communities. Our growing group of stakeholders include approximately 75 representatives of South Dakota’s tribes, federal and state agencies, the South Dakota’s Governor’s Office, tribally designated housing entities (TDHEs), nonprofit organizations, housing developers, lenders, and community development financial institutions.
WHY WE EXIST
So more Native Americans in South Dakota can achieve their dream of homeownership.
The South Dakota Native Homeownership Coalition was born out of a need to expand homeownership opportunities for Native Americans in the state of South Dakota. The Coalition works to increase Native homeownership rates by strategically leveraging knowledge and resources among stakeholders and other key entities. Through these synergies, we aim to revitalize our communities by creating an environment that supports Native Americans in achieving their dream of homeownership.
WHERE WE ARE HEADED
Expanding resources and increasing opportunities.
Moving forward, the South Dakota Native Homeownership Coalition will strive towards our vision of strong, thriving, and sustainable communities in South Dakota where Native people have the opportunity to achieve their dream of homeownership. The diversity and passion of our stakeholders fosters dynamic, solution-oriented discussions that ultimately lead to innovative, effective strategies. Through the Coalition’s various convenings, roundtables, trainings, and workshops we continue to:
- Provide instructor training opportunities to increase the capacity of housing practitioners to prepare clients for homeownership.
- Educate lenders and other providers about the legal infrastructure in tribal jurisdictions.
- Share information about funding and financing resources to support Native homeownership.
- Educate stakeholders about working on tribal trust land, the land lease process, and leasehold mortgages, and advocate for streamlining the leasehold mortgage process.
- Increase the supply of available housing stock for Native homeowners.